Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironhead Rocker Shaft O-Ring Replacement

72 XLCH, just rebuilt the entire motor, bottom-up.

The o-ring on rocker shaft at the rear was slightly larger than needed and is leaking oil. I have to replace it, but, when i unscrewed the bolt on the right side, i spun the shaft, since I held the cap nut on the left with a wrench. can i simply replace and screw back in, or will i need to make adjustments to shaft since its spun when i unscrewed it?

No just change the seal.........

Comment

Thanks! Damn oring won't stay seated. Pops out to one side and leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by budsmokersonly
        Thanks! Damn oring won't stay seated. Pops out to one side and leaks.

Is it seated good, and dry before you tighten it up?????

Comment

Sounds as if you could use some of the "Billy Bad Boy" seals that are on the market....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	1292013

No leak rocker arm seals are machined of a high grade nylon to replace o-rings.
          They will not crack, melt or shrink.
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

Originally posted by Dragstews
            Sounds as if you could use some of the "Billy Bad Boy" seals that are on the market....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71181[/ATTACH]

No leak rocker arm seals are machined of a high grade nylon to replace o-rings.
            They will not crack, melt or shrink.
            Those work great Jesse.............. I've used them before..........

Comment

I do have a wonder ... ???

If the chap is dealing with a rocker box that has been abused to the extence of the bore has been broached....
              At one time Jim's was making .005 oversize shafts in order to keep the box in use....
              That's been awhile back and the last time I tried to order them they have been took off line....

Comment

If the chap is dealing with a rocker box that has been abused to the extence of the bore has been broached....

Jesse I was wondering the same thing???????? But you know we are all Karnacks here..............

Comment

Karnacks, was my rocker box. Years of use, old chrome and heat caused the hole to get bigger than it should. Picked up a new set from Sporty Specialties and no more leak. Used COMETIC rings, and gaskets this time around. 500 miles and only a quarter size leak after a long ride

Comment

Well.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	burlap_kiss_my_grits_postcard-r0f058b7f2dc64ad7a98888be71b32e4e_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1292701

After all these years offering advise finally got one right.....!!!!

Comment

can these be installed without removing rocker bolt

Comment

Originally posted by mowen
                        can these be installed without removing rocker bolt
                        "No need to remove anything other than the big plug/screw that holds the O-ring in place. These can be difficult to remove and you'll probably have to hold the lock nut on the other side of the rocker shaft to keep it from turning. Easy job to do.
                        Eric

and

"Yes...... the O ring is replaced without removing the rocker box BUT....... you do not remove the acorn nut on the left side and push the shaft through. You do that and you WILL be removing the rocker box!..."

Comment

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                          "No need to remove anything other than the big plug/screw that holds the O-ring in place. These can be difficult to remove and you'll probably have to hold the lock nut on the other side of the rocker shaft to keep it from turning. Easy job to do.
                          Eric

and

"Yes...... the O ring is replaced without removing the rocker box BUT....... you do not remove the acorn nut on the left side and push the shaft through. You do that and you WILL be removing the rocker box!..."

http://xlforum.net/forums/archive/in...t-1223155.html
                          Thanks! Just thinking these white o rings were harder than the rubber black type that leak and won’t stretch

Comment

At one time Jim's was making .005 oversize shafts in order to keep the box in use....
                            That's been awhile back and the last time I tried to order them they have been took off line....
                            Yep, I had called and berated them for making their rocker shafts undersize, like the import pieces of shit are, and proposed that not only should they make their shafts to the correct H-D specs, that they should also offer the oversize head for the damaged boxes, and by God, they did! At least for a while.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍